30 January 2016 - PDF
ASLI Centre for Public Policy Studies (CPPS) Maintained as #6 “Top Best Think Tanks in the Southeast Asia and the Pacific Region”
30 January 2016, KUALA LUMPUR - ASLI Centre for Public Policy Studies (CPPS) earned its way into the Top-99 Think Tanks Worldwide in the recently published "2015 Global Go to Think Tank Index Report”, a study involving over 6,500 think tanks.
The annual global study also saw the emergence of parent organisation, Asian Strategy & Leadership Institute (ASLI) improve its global ranking as the Top 124th Think Tank Worldwide (non-US). The study was conducted by the Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) at the University of Pennsylvania which is known as the “think tanks’ think tank”. TTCSP examines the role of public policy research organisations in 1989. The Global Index of Think Tanks.
CPPS maintained it ranking as the 6th Top Think Tank in Southeast Asia and the Pacific region, consolidating its position as the No.1 Malaysian Think Tank. CPPS also improved on its world ranking of Transparency and Good Governance Think Tanks from 27th to 25th. It sits at 29th in the global ranking of best Trans-Disciplinary Research Programme at a Think Tank. CPPS is also ranked 11th globally for Best Quality Assurance and Integrity Policies and Procedures; 66th globally in the best use of social network; 38th in the world for Best Advocacy Campaign and 50thglobally in the education policy think tank. CPPS introduced a Single Price Policy in 2015, proposing that businesses display prices inclusive of GST and service charges. This policy was taken up by the Ministry of Domestic Trade.
'I am greatly encouraged by this high international ranking of CPPS as an international Think Tank. We are this inspired to contribute even more to improve our society;' said CPPS Chairman Tan Sri Ramon Navaratnam.
This year, ASLI ranked for the first time in the Top Domestic Economic Policy Think Tank category, with a respectable 84th place, becoming the only Malaysian think tank in this category. ASLI also ranks as the 55th Best Managed Think Tanks in the world and among one of world’s 40 Best Independent Think Tanks.
'ASLI is gratified to be once again reaffirmed as No.1 think tank in Malaysia based on our commitment to excellence, intellectual leadership and the pursuit of truth and will endeavour to contribute to building a better society in line with our mission and vision;' commented ASLI CEO Tan Sri Michael Yeoh.
Ng Yeen Seen, COO ASLI and Senior Director of CPPS added that “We would like to thank our supporters and partners as this would not have been possible without their collaborative efforts. 2015 was once again a busy year with many new projects and initiatives for the ASLI and CPPS team, from local and international avenues, which have been carried out with high level performance and standard. I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to my abled-team for their pains and efforts in making both ASLI and CPPS nationally and regionally renowned institutions.”
CPPS Chairman, Tan Sri Ramon Navaratnam, was delighted with the report but pointed out that the standings are just a reflection of CPPS's greater will to serve society through the contribution of knowledge and intellectual engagement.
ASLI and CPPS’ complete ranking information summary can be found below:
Summary of ASLI’s Rankings:
- No. 27 in Top Think Tanks with Annual Operating Budgets of Less Than $5 Million USD
- No. 29 in Best New Idea or Paradigm Developed by a Think Tank
- No. 32 in Best Transdisciplinary Research programme at a think tank
- No. 33 in Best Think Tank Conference
- No. 40 in Think Tanks with the Most Significant Impact on Public Policy
- No. 44 in Top Transparency and Good Governance Think Tanks
- No. 51 in Best Use of Social Network
- No. 55 in Best Managed Think Tank
- No. 56 in Think Tanks with the Best External Relations/Public Engagement Program
- No. 57 in Best Think Tank Network
- No. 84 in Top Domestic Economic Policy Think Tank
- No. 124 in Top Think Tanks Worldwide (Non-U.S.)
- One of 40 Best Independent Think Tanks
Summary of CPPS’s Rankings:
- No. 6 in Top Think Tanks in Southeast Asia and the Pacific
- No. 11 in Best Quality Assurance and Integrity Policies and Procedures
- No. 17 in Best Policy Study/Report Produced by a Think Tank
- No. 25 in Top Transparency and Good Governance Think Tanks
- No. 25 in Top Think Tanks with Annual Operating Budgets of Less Than $5 Million USD
- No. 29 in Best Transdisciplinary Research Program at a Think Tank
- No. 34 in Best Use of Social Networks
- No. 38 in Best Advocacy Campaign
- No. 38 in Best New Idea or Paradigm Developed by a Think Tank
- No. 47 in Best Think Tank Conference
- No. 49 in Think Tanks with the Most Significant Impact on Public Policy
- No. 50 in Top Education Policy Think Tanks
- No. 52 in Best Think Tank Network
- No. 53 in Think Tanks with Outstanding Policy-Oriented Public Programs
- No. 63 in Think Tanks with the Best External Relations/Public Engagement Program
- No. 66 in Best Use of Social Networks
- No. 67 in Best Managed Think Tanks
- No. 99 in Top Think Tanks Worldwide (U.S. and non-U.S.)
For enquiries, please contact Ms. Ng Yeen Seen, Senior Director, CPPS
- End -
The 2015 Global Go To Think Tank Index Report can be downloaded here.